We are a society of volunteers!
WPGS relies on volunteers both nearby and far away. Ask for details on any of the following opportunities. We welcome and rely on your help!
Prepare original documents for improved access through scanning and/or publishing. This opportunity requires local access. Email email@example.com.
Help us get out the word and get noticed! WPGS needs a Publicity chair to provide consistent messaging to both traditional and social media. Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Quarterly may be back soon! We have two co-chairs investigating getting the Quarterly back in publication. They will have an on-going need for volunteers to solicit articles, write articles, proofread, and edit to scholarly standards. All volunteers should be familiar with publishing industry editing standards and genealogy citation format. All editorial tasks can be accomplished remotely.
Please contact the editors at email@example.com to help get this WPGS publication back in business.
- COLLECTION: Library collection volunteers collect, repair, and preserve primary materials relating to genealogical research and acquired through purchase/donation, as well as other materials relating to genealogical research in the WPGS 26-county region for the non-circulating WPGS Library. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- DIGITIZING: Assist in the preparation of documents and records for digitizing and the actual processing of these to make them available to our members and public. Email email@example.com
- INDEXING: The digitized WPGS microfilm holdings need indexing so that they can easily be found when searching. This task can be done in the comfort of your home, working from PDF files. If you have indexing experience, it is as easy as entering info and sending the file. If you are not familiar with indexing, WPGS can provide training. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org .
- RESEARCHERS: Volunteers are needed on a regular basis to assist visitors to the WPGS Library, and helping WPGS respond to inquiries from patrons (members and non-members) that come by U.S. mail, e-mail, or by telephone and prepare limited genealogical research within the scope of the WPGS collection and resources. Such research extends to Index Lookups, WPGS File Searches, First Families of Western PA Applications, Naturalization Records Documentation, WPA Home Survey Searches, and General Research. Contact email@example.com to help someone else in their search for ancestors.
Help as we grow our membership:
- Process membership and renewal data
- Research potential additional membership benefits
- Participate in membership outreach events
Some of this work can be done remotely. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
WPGS holds programs to help both new researchers and the more experienced ones. Help the chair create successful programs.
- Welcome participants and provide information to members and visitors.
- Attend and provide a written overview for the newsletter.
- Bring your knowledge of production of webinars and video presentations.
The Jots editor is always on the alert for topical articles, research sources, and activities of interest to our membership. Share your research stories and knowledge of genealogy resources with the Editor at email@example.com.
Consider volunteering to serve on the WPGS Board of Directors for the next membership year (July through June of the following year).
The Board consists of the officers and six directors-at-large. The officers of the Society include the President, President-Elect, Recording Secretary, Corresponding Secretary, and Treasurer. The President-Elect serves as President the year following the year he/she serves as President-Elect. The term of the six Directors-at-Large is two years, three new Directors being elected each year. Directors-at-large act as the liaison between a committee or special interest group and the Board. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
You can always contact the President at email@example.com if you want to volunteer for any of these requests for assistance or need further information.