4400 Forbes Avenue
Since 1974, WPGS has been dedicated to the study and preservation of family history in the 26 counties of Western Pennsylvania. We aim to provide information, connections and resources to enable your family history research. The Board of Directors and Committtee Leaders are continually asking how to better serve and provide value to each and every member. One way we intend to do that is by expanding the content available on our website. Please check back often! If you wish to learn more about the history of WPGS, we have prepared a two-page history of our organization
. Also from 1974, our ABC's of Genealogy Research
OCTOBER IS FAMILY HISTORY MONTH
Join the Western Pennsylvania Genealogical Society and the Pennsylvania Department of the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh (CLP) for Family History Month activities throughout the month of October. All events
are at the Main Branch of CLP in the Oakland area of Pittsburgh, PA. Workshops and classes are free and open to the public, but many require advance registration due to limited space. Please call 412-622-3154 with any questions or to register.
What data is available to members online?
In the Members Only Section of this websites you will find:
- WPGS Member Ancestor Charts (partial; to be finalized soon)
- Allegheny County Veterans Burial Records
- Allegheny County's Civil War Roll of Honor
- Allegheny County Grand Army of the Republic Members (a partial list)
- Middlesex Township, Butler County Tax Lists, 1839 & 1855
- "List of Immigrants Who Applied for Naturalization Papers in the District Courts of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania," Volume 1
- 1853 and 1889 Allegheny County Tax Rolls
- The First Families of Western Pennsylvania Ancestors list where you can browse the list of over 700 family names.
- Allegheny County Morgue Book Index
- All back issues of the WPGS "Jots from the Point" newsletter, 1974 to Present
- WPGS Quarterly, Volumes 1-7 (every word searchable)
- Monthly Program Handouts
Reminder...if you are a WPGS member, you must log in
to be able to view the members-only records listed on the menu bar. Additional databases will be uploaded soon!
You Can Find Us on Facebook
Would you like to register as a member or renew?
For Membership information for the 2017-2018 year, go to "Join or Renew
." If you are a member but haven't renewed yet, you can update your membership here as well. PayPal
is now available for ease of payment.
CLP Pennsylvania Department Conference Room
Interested in tracing your family roots, but not sure where to start? Join CLP staff to learn what information you need to get started, what questions to ask, and what types of details you can expect to find as you start your research. Registration is required due to limited seating. ...
Western Pennsylvania Genealogical Society Open House
CLP Third Floor, Pennsylvania Department
Visit the Western Pennsylvania Genealogy Society’s Headquarters. Learn about the Society’s resources and activities. WPGS volunteers will be on hand to demonstrate the process of microfilming records, discuss the archives and WPGS resources, and talk about the research process.
Best Practices for Digitizing Family Photos
CLP REcollection Studio, Third floor
Learn tips and tricks for creating digital copies of treasured family photographs in CLP’s new REcollection Studio, their digitization lab. Participants will get an introduction to scanning photographs, various file formats for photographs, and naming files so they can be found later. Participants are welcome to bring 4-6 personal photos ...