Apply for Our Scholarship!
The Suzanne Johnston Memorial Scholarship is a yearly award of up to $250 to a current WPGS member to assist with the cost of attendance at a local, regional, national. or virtual genealogy conference. Suzie passed away in 2019 after 44 years of WPGS volunteering, serving as a Board member, chairperson of several committees, First Families reviewer, and genealogical researcher extraordinaire. She studied new techniques to not only further her own research but to assist others, so this scholarship is a fitting way to honor her memory. Click here to learn more.
Call for Submissions: WPGS Quarterly
The Western Pennsylvania Genealogical Society (WPGS) welcomes unique, well-documented articles focusing on researched family histories from any ethnic, social or religious groups in Western Pennsylvania’s 26 counties or history articles that would be considered useful to Pennsylvania genealogy researchers. Types of manuscripts accepted include but are not limited to: Histories of Pennsylvania ancestors, Western Pennsylvania locality research, Unpublished bible, church, and cemetery records.
Click here to learn more.
Western Pennsylvania Genealogical Society
An organization of amateur and professional family historians and genealogists dedicated to the study and preservation of family history focused on Western Pennsylvania.
We have a wealth of resources for both the budding researcher and the experienced pro. WPGS offers free programming and in-person help for all as well as valuable extras for our members.
Highlights of Member Benefits
- Six issues of our newsletter, Jots from Western Pennsylvania
- Two free queries in each edition of the Society newsletter
- Significant discounts towards WPGS Publications, Library Research, and the Online Used Bookstore
- Inclusion in the online Ancestor Chart Project
- Access to 146,000+ names in over 2,500 member Ancestor Charts
- Surname Research Project – surnames being researched by members
- Access to Online Members Only databases and documents and much more!
- Membership year begins July 1 through June 30 each year.
Suzanne Johnston Memorial Scholarship
Annually, WPGS awards the $250 Suzanne Johnston Memorial Scholarship to a current member to assist with registration fees for a local, regional, national, or virtual genealogy conference.
This member’s only collection contains an index of Immigrants who applied for Naturalization Papers in the District Courts of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania. Copies of the Naturalization records can also be ordered through our Research Services.