Western Pennsylvania Genealogical Society Logo
4400 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
15213-4007
Western Pennsylvania Genealogical Society
Image of Men by Train Engine
Historic Western PA Docs
Return to Category List
Listings Per Page: 


File Listings: 1 to 49 of 49
Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, Research in the Courthouse, by Helen L. Harriss, C.G. and Eden Harriss, is an outline prepared originally for a class, which the authors taught for the Western Pennsylvania Genealogical Society. The material is basically for use in Allegheny County, but the information contained therein is applicable to the other Pennsylvania counties.
Uploaded: 5 December 2019
Dedication Program, of the New Boiling Springs Presbyterian Church, Spring Church, Pennsylvania, Sunday, September 11, 1983, 2:30PM, The Reverend David L. Garrett, Pastor.
Uploaded: 22 November 2019
Brentwood Historical Society The Early History of Brownsville Road Brentwood Borough Pittsburgh, PA. 15227 June 27, 1992
Uploaded: 6 August 2020
Calvary Presby_Class 5_Wilkinsburg, PA_1925
Uploaded: 20 September 2020
Calvary Presby_Class 7_Wilkinsburg, PA_1914
Uploaded: 20 September 2020
Uploaded: 17 November 2019
A Bibliography of Sources for Civil War, Mexican, and Spanish-American War Research in Western Pennsylvania. Special Publication No. 3 of the Western Pennsylvania Genealogical Society. Compiled by Helen Wilson, Historical Society of Western Pennsylvania and Jean Sansenbaugher Morris, Professional Genealogist in 1978 and published by the Western Pennsylvania Genealogical Society.
Uploaded: 17 August 2019
Attached is a draft of the Abstracts of "The Connellsville Courier," Fayette County, PA, 1901 Nov 08-1903 Jan 02, that were compiled by a committee spearheaded by Ed Duggan, of Alexandria, Virginia, in 1994-1995. Both Ed Duggan and the WPGS representative involved, Jean Gregord, are now deceased. The final product was never published by WPGS and has not been located. If the final product is ever located, it will replace the current file.
Uploaded: 17 August 2019
Cross Creek Township from the History of Washington County, Pennsylvania by Crumrine, pp. 721-742
Uploaded: 20 September 2020
Dale Methodist Church Supplement including Table of Contents, Appendix III Supplement, and General Index, compiled by David H. Gill.
Uploaded: 23 September 2020
Maps showing the development of Pennsylvania prepared in the Land Office Bureau, Department of Internal Affairs, James F. Woodward, Secretary, 1920. Saved by Jean S. Morris and submitted as a gift to WPGS, December 30, 1977.
Uploaded: 6 August 2020
Members of the Capt. Thomas Espy Post No. 153, Grand Army of the Republic taken in front of the Memorial Hall of the Andrew Carnegie Free Libary and Music Hall in Carnegie, Pennsylvania.
Uploaded: 23 September 2020
Index to the 1872 Atlas of Fayette County, Pennsylvania, Special Publication No. 4 of the Western Pennsylvania Genealogical Society. Compiled by Helen Harriss, CG, 1982
Uploaded: 17 August 2019
Volume 40, nos. 3 and 4, and Vol. 41, nos. 1 and 2, of the “Q” carried class rosters and hometowns for the student body of Fredonia Institute and its predecessor Fredonia Normal Academy from 1886 through 1911-12. The current manuscript provides the occupation, place of residence, and in some cases marital status of individuals who graduated from Fredonia Institute during the span of years noted. All the data was gleaned from the 1911-1912 Annual Catalog. All residences are Pennsylvania unless otherwise noted. Compiled by Samuel A. Farmerie.
Uploaded: 20 April 2018
The records of several G.A.R. Posts are stored in the Soldiers and Sailors Memorial and Museum in Pittsburgh, PA. They were microfilmed by WPGS members Henry Hively and Len Mayhood. The films can be viewed at the Archives of Industrial Society, University of Pittsburgh, Hillman Library. File reference no. 86:7 All posts in Pennsylvania are listed at https://www.loc.gov/rr/main/gar/appendix/penn2.html
Uploaded: 9 May 2018
(Compiled by the German Interest Group of the Western Pennsylvania Genealogical Society in 1990.) Western Pennsylvania had several well-known families of German descent early in the history of the area. With the continuation of westward migration and immigration from the individual German-speaking lands, the German population swelled. The number continued to increase well into the 1900's. Volume I, 50 GERMAN CHURCHES AND THEIR RECORDS, has been compiled by the Church Research Committee of the German Interest Group of the Western Pennsylvania Genealogical Society as part of a continuing effort to preserve our German heritage and provide research assistance to those hunting German ancestors. Volume II is the list of resources used to compile Volume I.
Uploaded: 24 July 2018
The publishers, desirous of circulating the pictures of the Period, have produced this booklet under the stress of local conditions. Appreciation is given to the following Pittsburghers for their cooperation in photographing many of the rare scenes: Mr. Reed B. Coyle, Jr., Mr. Arther Sweger, and Mr. Theodore Middle. Joseph M. Katz, Editor, and Harry L. Kanarek, Business Manager, published by The Beacon Press, Inc., 244 Boulevard of Allies, Pittsburgh, PA
Uploaded: 18 February 2019
This is an archivists' guide to genealogical research at the Heinz History Center from a program presented to the North Hills Genealogist in September 2018 by Sierra Green, Archivist, MLIS
Uploaded: 17 August 2019
Various maps showing the development of Pennsylvania and its boundaries prepared by the Land Office Bureau, Department of Internal Affairs, 1920
Uploaded: 6 August 2020
A partial list of early records of churches and synagogues prepared by members of the Western Pennsylvania Genealogical Society, Pittsburgh, PA, in 1990. FORWARD: In July of 1989, TV Station WQED in Pittsburgh presented "Holy Pittsburgh", a study of some of Pittsburgh's beautiful and significant churches: old and new; Catholic, Protestant, Orthodox, and Jewish, The program inspired members of the Western Pennsylvania Genealogical Society to search for Holy Pittsburgh records in these and other churches. At a meeting of the Society held on 13 January 1990 at Trinity Episcopal Cathedral, the Research Committee presented the results. This publication has been compiled to present a directory for these records and to give brief histories of some of the earlier churches and synagogues. From these roots often developed other churches now located throughout the hills and valleys of the Pittsburgh area. Here are churches of the late 1700's, as well as those which were centers of the lives of later immigrants. We could not include every denomination or ethnic background in this volume. We have, therefore, tried to choose a variety with the hope that other publications will follow. From contacts made by the committee members have come offers of church histories and copies of records, as well as resource materials collected from various sources by the committee. These are being placed in the Archives of our Society and may be seen at our library in the Historical Society Building, 4338 Bigelow Blvd., Pittsburgh, PA 15213 (now in the Pennsylvania Department of the Main Branch of the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh at 4400 Forbes Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA, 15213.) Our Microfilming Committee has also been asked to preserve many records on film. As completed these will be added to those listed in the Appendix of this book, A copy of the videotape of the original WQED production of "Holy Pittsburgh" has been donated to us by the station and will be found in our library collections. Helen L, Harriss, C.G., Coordinator
Uploaded: 24 July 2018
Report on the Explosion in No. 4 Mine, Pittsburgh Terminal Coal Corporation, Horning, Baldwin Township, Allegheny County, PA. File No. 1078. 3 February 1926, 3:44 PM. By H. C. Howarth, U. S. Department of the Interior, Bureau of Mines. The number of men killed: 20 Number in mine: 300-400. The number of men escaped unassisted: 280-350. The last body was recovered on Feb. 16 at 1130 AM.
Uploaded: 17 August 2019
Index for Indian Warfare in Western Pennsylvania compiled by Capt. Joan Jankey, December 1993.
Uploaded: 23 September 2020
Celebration and Consecration March 29 and April 1, 1979 Trinity United Methodist Church Corner Fourth - Church Sts. Indiana, Penna.
Uploaded: 6 August 2020
John Bartram's Journey to Pittsburgh in the Fall of 1761 by Francis D. West
Uploaded: 20 September 2020
One Hundred Seventy-Five Years of Religion in Lawrenceville, Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania. 1916-1990. Compiled by James Wudarczyk, December 1990. Pages 1-53.
Uploaded: 8 May 2019
One Hundred Seventy-Five Years of Religion in Lawrenceville, Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania. 1916-1990. Compiled by James Wudarczyk, December 1990. Pages 138-185
Uploaded: 8 May 2019
One Hundred Seventy-Five Years of Religion in Lawrenceville, Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania. 1916-1990. Compiled by James Wudarczyk, December 1990. Pages 186-242
Uploaded: 8 May 2019
One Hundred Seventy-Five Years of Religion in Lawrenceville, Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania. 1916-1990. Compiled by James Wudarczyk, December 1990. Pages 54-137
Uploaded: 8 May 2019
Bethel United Methodist Church 150 Alder Street Lower Burrell, Pennsylvania 15068 Twenty-Fifth Anniversary Celebration November 18, 1979
Uploaded: 6 August 2020
Uploaded: 17 August 2019
The official report of the United States Department of the Interior Bureau of Mines Mine Explosion Report for Mine No. 4, Horning, Baldwin Township, Allegheny County, PA, File No. 1078, February 3, 1926. (not indexed)
Uploaded: 17 November 2019
An anonymous donation of a 12-page draft of a document listing the names and families connected with the Mount Moriah Church, Smithfield, Fayette, County, Pennsylvania.
Uploaded: 1 September 2020
120 Years 1869 - 1989 Thanksgiving Day First United Methodist Church of New Kensington Joseph A. Hajdu, Pastor
Uploaded: 6 August 2020
Special Publication No. 3 of the Western Pennsylvania Genealogical Society. This booklet has been prepared to assist the out-of-town researcher, as well as the Pittsburgh researcher, to be aware of the wealth of Ohio materials available here. For those who live out of state and come to Pennsylvania to visit our libraries - this list will assist them also in their Ohio research while here.
Uploaded: 17 August 2019
Chatham University was founded as Pennsylvania Female College (PFC) in 1869 by Rev. William Trimble Beatty. As it morphed over time its programs changed as did its name to Pennsylvania College for Women (1890), Chatham College (1955) and Chatham University (2007). What is included here is a program with names of musicians who performed in a PFC student concert during December of 1881. Compiled by Samuel A. Farmerie.
Uploaded: 20 April 2018
Pensylvania Frontier Genealogical Resources. Bibliography
Uploaded: 9 May 2018
A Pittsburgh Album, 1758-1958. two Hundred Years of Memories in Pictures and Text. Compiled, written, and edited by Roy Stryker and Mel Seidenberg.Pages 1-50
Uploaded: 23 September 2020
A Pittsburgh Album, 1758-1958. two Hundred Years of Memories in Pictures and Text. Compiled, written, and edited by Roy Stryker and Mel Seidenberg. Pages 51-100
Uploaded: 23 September 2020
Recollections of Seventy Years of Historical Gleanings, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania by Judge John E. Parke (1886)
Uploaded: 20 September 2020
Although this book indicates Illinois, many households in Western Pennsylvania also collected S & H Green Stamps and redeemed many "prizes" for their efforts.
Uploaded: 7 September 2020
Samuel A. Farmerie compiled this 1889-1891 listing from the Slippery Rock State Normal School, the ancestor of the present day Slippery Rock State University. The Term “Normal School” refers to an institution for the preparation of elementary school teachers. The “Normal” program level and length varied over the years, but it was always below a bachelor’s degree.
Uploaded: 20 April 2018
The Program for the Twenty-Fifth Anniversary Observance, Unit 2282, Archconfraternity of Christian Mothers and Guild, St. Adalbert Church, South Side, Pittsburgh, PA. November 29, 1981. This program includes an itinerary for activities and the banquet, a Historette of St. Adalbert's Christian Mothers, the Chronology of Officers 1956-1981, In Memorium (Deceased Members 1958-1981), and Lyrics for Hymns and Songs (some in Polish.)
Uploaded: 12 January 2019
This is the commemorative book of the "First Hundred Years" of St. Adalbert Roman Catholic Church on the South Side of Pittsburgh at 162 South Fifteenth Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15203. It contains photos, statistics, and historical parish activity documentation. An index at the back of the book was created to assist in finding potential family members.
Uploaded: 12 January 2019
Reprint of an article in the Feb-Mar 2016 WPGS Newsletter on the 80th Anniversary The Great St. Patrick's Flood of 1936 by Colleen O'Laughlin.
Uploaded: 17 August 2019
The Troy Hill Cemetery was formerly situated at the present location of the Cowley Athletic Field (AKA Gardner Field) at the corner of Herman and Gardner Streets in the Troy Hill section of Pittsburgh. The cemetery was formally dedicated in 1860 by the Smithfield Street German Evangelical Protestant Church. With the purchase of the current Smithfield East End Cemetery in 1888, the Troy Hill Cemetery was abandoned by the congregation. Some burials appear to have continued even into the 1890s. Some of the bodies were exhumed and moved to Smithfield East End Cemetery; however, local residents have reported that not all graves and stones from the Troy Hill Cemetery and the adjoining Roman Catholic burial ground (which also was abandoned as a cemetery) had been removed. Smithfield East End Cemetery does not have complete records of the bodies that were moved, nor do they have any records of the former Troy Hill Cemetery. Some skeletal remains were discovered during road construction in the area. Information provided by Dr. James M. Owston
Uploaded: 15 October 2020
From 1979 to 1980, a project, spearheaded by Eunice Elliott and Samuel C. Reed, Jr., was initiated to document Indian victims killed, captured, and missing from 1744 to 1792 for the Western Pennsylvania Genealogical Society. Over 1,800 cards completed by members for this project were recently discovered in storage and the information that was documented was deemed to be valuable, even today. However, the title of this project has since been changed to Victims of Native American Conflicts, 1744-1792. The original cards were individually scanned, both front and back, and the indexers diligently recorded the principal data on the cards so that they could be found on a general index. The original cards were handwritten, typed, and/or clipped from publications. A list of the sources indicated on the cards was created and is available for review along with the images of all of the cards. However, some of these sources could not be deciphered from the information provided on the cards. Initially, the information requested for the cards included: Last name, first name, place, date, description of the event, source and page number, and submitters name. Some cards contain only these specifics, some went into more detail about the event. Please note that the names of many Native Americans were also included in the index.
Uploaded: 15 October 2020
Washington District Meeting First Church, Washington, Pennsylvania September 30, 1956
Uploaded: 6 August 2020
Uploaded: 5 March 2019
A 46-page booklet prepared for the 50th Anniversary of Wilkinsburg. Donated by Peggy Link Green in July 2007: "Please accept this donation. It was given to me by my mother several years ago. She was born there as was her mother. My great-grandfather and grandmother and her mother and siblings lived there as well. Thought others might benefit from this wonderful little book as much as I have."
Uploaded: 22 May 2018